Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
thenoobmaster
VATSIM CID: 1397774

VRC and New Controller Help

Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi all,

I want to be a new controller here at ZLA, and I have a couple of questions regarding the process:

First, do I take the VATUSA Basic ATC/S1 test before signing up to controller here? VATUSA and ZLA's training summary (https://laartcc.org/document/zla-training-summary) are telling two different things, with VATUSA telling me to complete their test, and ZLA telling me to do a sweatbox session first.

It would also be beneficial if the VRC Setup Video (https://laartcc.org/vrcvideo) under https://laartcc.org/stm/vrc-setup is working. The link provides a page stating a 404 error. I want to get VRC setup before meeting with my future instructor to not waste any training time.

Many thanks,
WZ

Enrico Noia
Event Coordinator / Mentor

Re: VRC and New Controller Help

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:51 am

Hello,

So the progression goes like this:

- Take the vatusa S1 exam
- Take ZLA Basic Written exam
- Take the ZLA Clearance Delivery Exam
- Request training
- Get first sweatbox session

thenoobmaster

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Enrico,

Thanks for the fast response!
Happy Holidays!

Many Thanks,
WZ

Matthew Kramer
VATSIM CID: 845421

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:59 pm

I believe once you pass the VATUSA S1 exam you're given the opportunity to select your initial facility. Upon choosing ZLA, you will automatically be assigned our basic exam. Upon passing the basic exam, you will automatically be assigned the Clearance exam.

We have numerous resources at www.laartcc.org to help with our two exams, which are open book. Feel free to reach out to the training staff or here on the forum if you have questions.

thenoobmaster

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Matthew,

Thanks for reaching out!

I still have a question regarding VRC setup. The video linked in my first post above doesn't seem to be working. If a staff member reads over this and reaches out that'll be awesome!

Happy Holidays!

Matthew Kramer
VATSIM CID: 845421

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:22 pm

thenoobmaster

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks so much! Really appreciate the help new members get from staff members

Happy Holidays!

Return to “Ask ZLA (In memoriam: Don Fiveash, Bob Ackerman, Dominic Durden, Tyler Goeggel, Gerry Hattendorf)”