Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
Brad Bell
VATSIM CID: 888663

Starting Fresh?

Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I controlled but I would like to get back into it, and since its been so long, I personally would kind of like to just "start from scratch" in a sense.

VATUSA shows me as an LA controller, and I have login rights on both the website/forum, but I am not listed on the roster, so I don't know if I have to go to the process of requesting LA again at VATUSA, or just be reactivated?

A little about me, I have over 2k hours logged in vatsim on the pilot side, a few hundred hours on the controlling side, I made S3 in Seattle over 5 years ago, and haven't controlled since. I have a 2 year degree in Air Traffic Control from Green River Community College but that was over 5 years ago as well, so I feel that starting from scratch might be the best option.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on getting back on my feet, what tests I need to take, etc? I am going to start going through the documents and getting my VRC set up again.

Thanks for the help!

-Brad B.

Matthew Kramer
VATSIM CID: 845421

Re: Starting Fresh?

Tue May 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Brad,

I was able to respond to you privately but will elaborate here for the future's sake. Your specific next step is to complete the assigned exam so we can start the training process with you. Controllers here will get listed on the roster after obtaining their "operating initials" from us. You can take a look at the ZLA Training Summary for more information.

You actually fell into a bit of a crack in our backend system. After 120 days we failed to remove you from the VATUSA roster due to inactivity.

Normally a controller who does not log a session, does not obtain ZLA operating initials, or otherwise shows no activity is removed per the Removal Policy SOP. Upon returning to the network, generally they must either transfer back to their home ARTCC or choose a new one. For returning controllers, there is a recertification process to make sure they are up to speed with new procedures.

For example, I came back to VATSIM after a 5+ year hiatus and therefore needed to start over again at the S1 level within ZLA. My VATSIM controller rating hasn't changed, but my rights at ZLA were not the same as when I left.

Let us know if you have any questions about setting up VRC. Your first training session will assume you know how to use it and that it's setup. Likewise be sure to review our other training documents, SOPs, and the new Syllabus all on the "controllers" dropdown of the homepage.

Matt

Return to “Ask ZLA (In memoriam: Don Fiveash, Bob Ackerman, Dominic Durden, Tyler Goeggel, Gerry Hattendorf)”