Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
Kyle Balatbat
Staff Instructor
VATSIM CID: 1364608

Questions for LAX_TWR

Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 am

Hey, it’s KB. I have a few questions for controlling LAX_TWR.

1) For miniroute transitions when SMO_TWR and HHR_TWR are offline, is a pointout required to the appropriate radar controller since LAX_TWR is controlling aircraft past its airspace?

2) If a pilot requests to transition the LAX Bravo airspace some other way other than the miniroute, am I allowed to instruct him to proceed as requested or does every single aircraft that wants to transition the LAX Bravo inside TWR airspace need to be put on the miniroute?

3) Obviously, the north complex runways are too close to authorize simultaneous departures and arrivals (same goes for south complex). AAL123 is holding in position runway 24L, DAL456 is on short final 24R. When would be the earliest time I would be able to give AAL123 clearance for takeoff? Once DAL456 is past AAL123, once DAL456 comes to a point in rollout that a go around is undesirable (like going 80kts and slowing down, stopping is assured), or DAL456 vacates 24R?

4) In the LAX_TWR SOP, it says that “when the VOR-A approach is in use to Santa Monica, runway 24R and runway 24L departures may be held at specific times unless on a 220 heading.” I’m assuming that heading 220 is used because the VOR-A missed approach procedure turns the aircraft to 250, so it provides at least the 30 degree divergence required between the departure and missed approach? If that’s not the reason, just ignore the next question.

5) When VOR-A approach is in use, would it be alright to assign heading 210 if departing runway 24L/R and is a J class aircraft for the reason underlined in question 4? Or even heading 200 and is a M, P, or Q aircraft going southbound?

6) Dumb question, but I’m assuming that I’m supposed to be marking my training sessions as OTS, right, since I want to do the Tower OTS, and don’t mark it as one if it will be a training session to maintain my solo cert?
Kyle Balatbat (KB)
ZLA Instructor

Daniel Everman
FAB Member

Re: Questions for LAX_TWR

Sun May 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Hey, it’s KB. I have a few questions for controlling LAX_TWR.

1) For miniroute transitions when SMO_TWR and HHR_TWR are offline, is a pointout required to the appropriate radar controller since LAX_TWR is controlling aircraft past its airspace?
If the radar controller has handed you the aircraft, you don't need to point it out to start, but you should after they leave the LAX bravo.
2) If a pilot requests to transition the LAX Bravo airspace some other way other than the miniroute, am I allowed to instruct him to proceed as requested or does every single aircraft that wants to transition the LAX Bravo inside TWR airspace need to be put on the miniroute?
Traffic and workload permitting, you can. Most VATSIM pilots aren't familiar with the miniroute, unfortunately. There is a command for pilots unfamiliar with the miniroute in the alias you may have some luck with issuing.
3) Obviously, the north complex runways are too close to authorize simultaneous departures and arrivals (same goes for south complex). AAL123 is holding in position runway 24L, DAL456 is on short final 24R. When would be the earliest time I would be able to give AAL123 clearance for takeoff? Once DAL456 is past AAL123, once DAL456 comes to a point in rollout that a go around is undesirable (like going 80kts and slowing down, stopping is assured), or DAL456 vacates 24R?
Once DAL456 is landing assured, AAL123 can start his roll. He doesn't need to vacate the runway. In the real world LAX they'll actually start the departure rolling once the arrival is on an extremely short (100-150 ft) final.
4) In the LAX_TWR SOP, it says that “when the VOR-A approach is in use to Santa Monica, runway 24R and runway 24L departures may be held at specific times unless on a 220 heading.” I’m assuming that heading 220 is used because the VOR-A missed approach procedure turns the aircraft to 250, so it provides at least the 30 degree divergence required between the departure and missed approach? If that’s not the reason, just ignore the next question.
Kind of. It's not exactly an application of that rule, but it is used to establish diverging (then lateral) separation from the VOR-A missed approach course.
5) When VOR-A approach is in use, would it be alright to assign heading 210 if departing runway 24L/R and is a J class aircraft for the reason underlined in question 4? Or even heading 200 and is a M, P, or Q aircraft going southbound?
That's legal, yeah.
6) Dumb question, but I’m assuming that I’m supposed to be marking my training sessions as OTS, right, since I want to do the Tower OTS, and don’t mark it as one if it will be a training session to maintain my solo cert?
The checkout on LAX tower isn't a formal OTS like the SCT and ZLA OTSs. It works pretty much the same way as prior certs do, where if we think you're proficient enough to run it, you get fully certified, if you're not, then we extend your solo for another 60 days and get some more SMT time to practice.
Daniel Everman
Former ZLA Training Administrator

Return to “Ask ZLA (In memoriam: Don Fiveash, Bob Ackerman, Dominic Durden, Tyler Goeggel, Gerry Hattendorf)”