Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
falcon0405
VATSIM CID: 1384164

Basic questions in regards to S1 Sweatbox training

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:57 pm

I had a few questions regarding sweatbox training for the S1 checkout. Thanks!

-How early in advance should I request training? Is three days enough or should it be longer?

-How long should I plan to be training?

-How much traffic could one expect? Do instructors push recruits to the limit or give them a normal dose of Friday night traffic?

-About how long will I have to plan what I say before the instructor asks for clearance? (Would it be a minute or two or immediate thus relying on memory)

-How hard is it? Yes I know is subjective, but I was just curious how other controllers fared their first times.

-To wrap this up, are there any tips you might have?

Thanks for the help in advance. I was debating what artcc to join, but when talking with some members, I think I made the right choice.

Daniel Everman
FAB Member

Re: Basic questions in regards to S1 Sweatbox training

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 pm

-How early in advance should I request training? Is three days enough or should it be longer?
Three days is generally enough.
-How long should I plan to be training?
Most sweatbox sessions take 60-90 minutes.
-How much traffic could one expect? Do instructors push recruits to the limit or give them a normal dose of Friday night traffic?
We spawn a bunch of traffic and work through it at the student's pace.
-About how long will I have to plan what I say before the instructor asks for clearance? (Would it be a minute or two or immediate thus relying on memory)
You can always put an aircraft on request if you don't have it available immediately.
-To wrap this up, are there any tips you might have?
Come prepared. Go over deductions on the CD Exam and see where you went wrong. Brush up on LOAs.
Daniel Everman
Former ZLA Training Administrator

Return to “Ask ZLA (In memoriam: Don Fiveash, Bob Ackerman, Dominic Durden, Tyler Goeggel, Gerry Hattendorf)”