Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
1936arrow

Question about landing today at KLAX

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks again for this forum. I hope I can get an answer to my question.

After a really great flight from Dulles to Los Angeles today, I found that the end of the flight was not really up to my expectations. I am trying to see what I did wrong.

This was a situation where there was only ground control on line a the time. On landing I sent a final text message on 122.8 that I was clear of the runway (24R) in this case.

When I pulled off on AA taxiway and contacted ground, I received a "lecture" about how I wasn't supposed to contact him, that I was supposed to still be on Unicom. Is that correct? I am on a taxiway and I am not supposed to contact ground? He also stated that when I do contact him I am supposed to ask my intentions. Well, that's all an good, but how am I supposed to get across runway 24L to go to D3? I made two subsequent calls to this controller where I wanted to go with no response.

I don't think cutting off communications with anyone who loves this hobby as much as I do (former commercial pilot) is a very professional thing. If there is a certain procedure that I wasn't following, I guess my question is what was I supposed to do? Was it because I was on a taxiway between runways?

Again this post is more of a question than a complaint. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Colin Schoen

Re: Question about landing today at KLAX

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Hello!

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience in ZLA. Let me see if I can help clarify.

LAX_GND does not own the taxiways in between runways 24R and 24L, LAX_TWR does. The controller was probably confused because he isn't authorized to issue a runway crossing clearance and figured you should call on the other side. In this case, the controller might have been technically right, but it still could have been handled a much better way.

What the controller can say is:

Cross runway 24L at AA your discretion, taxi to the gate via Echo.

If you can provide the controller name in an email to me at [email protected], I will ensure that he is made aware of how to handle it better in the future.

I hope to see you in ZLA soon,

Colin
Colin Schoen
VATSIM Membership Manager
VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Return to “Ask ZLA (In memoriam: Don Fiveash, Bob Ackerman, Dominic Durden, Tyler Goeggel, Gerry Hattendorf)”