Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
David Ambrose

"Turn left heading 210 at the shoreline"

Thu May 31, 2012 8:47 am

Ok, I've been reading all the training, and I've noticed this, and I've also been hardcore about listening to liveatc, so I can try to sound like the people who do it in the rw, and lately, they say,"At the Los Angeles VOR, turn left heading 210, wind xxx at xx, runway 25R, clear for takeoff." I havent heard them say, "at the shoreline" in a long time...I used to hear it. Maybe they changed their SOP recently??? Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't want to say what I hear on liveatc during training and be marked down for it since it says something different in the training, but I would rather say what they say on liveatc since that's the "horse's mouth"...

-DA
ZLA_DA (S2) EGLL Hub Manager for Airhaul VA http://airhaul.net/

Brad Littlejohn
FAB Member

Re: "Turn left heading 210 at the shoreline"

Thu May 31, 2012 12:05 pm

Ok, I've been reading all the training, and I've noticed this, and I've also been hardcore about listening to liveatc, so I can try to sound like the people who do it in the rw, and lately, they say,"At the Los Angeles VOR, turn left heading 210, wind xxx at xx, runway 25R, clear for takeoff." I havent heard them say, "at the shoreline" in a long time...I used to hear it. Maybe they changed their SOP recently??? Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't want to say what I hear on liveatc during training and be marked down for it since it says something different in the training, but I would rather say what they say on liveatc since that's the "horse's mouth"...

-DA
Hi there, David.

The biggest reason they are giving the call to turn at the shoreline (and as you've noted, they also mention they use 'at the VOR turn left/right heading xxx') is to mainly get the props and slow-and-go traffic out of the way of the jet departure stream. You'll definitely hear they off of the north side of the field, as the Brasilias and Saabs would depart from there up to the central coast.

I think why you are hearing the 'at the shoreline' (especially today) is because of the NOTAM for the VOR that was published:

Code: Select all

05/194 (A1359/12) - NAV VOR U/S. 31 MAY 19:00 2012 UNTIL 31 MAY 21:00 2012. CREATED: 30 MAY 22:59 2012
This makes the VOR unusable, so that point of reference is effectively gone. You just may have caught them using the shoreline reference point at the right time, as the NOTAM was created yesterday and in effect today. The shoreline would be a suitable replacement, so that may give insight into why you are hearing this. As far as we go here, I could see both being used, as the VOR is roughly 200 - 300ft from the shoreline, if that at all. But that would be a good reason as to why you are hearing one and not the other.

BL.
Brad "Hey, Smeghead!" Littlejohn
ZLA Senior Controller

Return to “Ask ZLA (In memoriam: Don Fiveash, Bob Ackerman, Dominic Durden, Tyler Goeggel, Gerry Hattendorf)”