Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
Benjamin Van Eps

RNAV Approaches with direction restrictions

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Evening guys-

We are having a discussion in our group about RNAV approaches and why some approaches have arrival waypoint restrictions. Take for example : http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1108/00015R24.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Procedure NA for arrivals from v-xxx or v-xxx or v-xxx"

My hunch is the restrictions are based upon incoming / outgoing traffic and they don't want planes to double back 180 to get to the IAF. However, the conversation has become, well, why don't they have these same restrictions for fields that have NDB approaches. In some cases you may be flying right down the outbound radial, fly over the station, turn 180...head outbound, do your PT and head back in.

Take for example : http://tiles.skyvector.com/sky/files/tp ... 31ND11.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you were coming in from the northwest you would fly all the way to the field, do a 180 and begin your procedure at UPAKY. No restrictions.

So, the root question, why restriction on RNAV.

Thoughts?

Thanks-
Benjamin
Benjamin "I have a Question" Van Eps
I-11 Completed! Wahoo!

Jason Baxter

Re: RNAV Approaches with direction restrictions

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Excellent question, these restrictions do exist on conventional-NAV approaches. Their are places where a feeder or an IAF would take you through 180*. They're usually restricted when such a manuever would leave protected airspace or when obstacles penetrate protected airspace. example here, the WHP VOR-A.

Return to “Ask ZLA (In memoriam: Don Fiveash, Bob Ackerman, Dominic Durden, Tyler Goeggel, Gerry Hattendorf)”