Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
mhrussell1

Sweatbox Not In Server List

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:47 pm

I am having the same problem another guy had back in July. (Ryder Pressman) I read the thread and it indicated a possible solution was to remove the .txt extension on the myservers file. I copied the file from the Sweatbox/VRC directory to the main VRC directory and tried it with both versions. SWEATBOX does not show up in server list.

Also a related problem is that I never get the servers from the network. It always complains with the error message:

"Could not retrieve server list from network. Using the cached server list and user-defined servers."

I set up the firewall to allow VRC private and public access.

The version check seems to work.

Thanks,
Mark Russell (MK)

Colin Schoen

Re: Sweatbox Not In Server List

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Where are you placing the myservers.txt file? (The full path).

I also moved this to the main forum so you can respond.
Colin Schoen
VATSIM Membership Manager
VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Mitchel Thomas

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:02 am

Hi there!

I get that error message every once in a while as well. I believe that what happens is VRC attempts to update the servers it connects to by communicating with the VATSIM (or other) network, except the connection times out or there is some other error. Instead, VRC loads the older, cached servers that it defaults to instead of possibly updating after the "Server Version Check" and sends you the error message saying it's loaded the possibly out-dated server lists.

This should not effect whether or not you can connect to Sweatbox. Even though it cannot update the servers it uses, you should still be able to connect to it, considering I've done just that I don't know how many times.

The fact that Sweatbox is not showing up on your server list is a different problem, one that Colin up there :dance: should be able to help you with.

Hope this helps!

(Disclaimer: I am by no means fluent when it comes to this kind of thing. This is based purely on speculation from a layman's perspective. Please excuse any blatant wrongdoings on my part. ;) )

Bradley Grafelman

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:34 am

If you have the latest version of VRC (1.2.4? -- newer than 1.2.3), it looks for myservers.txt in a new location. I believe that location is a "VRC" folder located in your My Documents folder. This was implemented due to a change in the way Windows handled file permissions on your Program Files directories (which is where I'm assuming you installed VRC).

As for your other issue, I get that from time to time as well. If you have never been able to retrieve the server list, you might be stuck with an old server list that we can manually update (using the cached server list from someone else).

Feel free to stop by on TeamSpeak (details are in the e-mail reply I sent you earlier before seeing this thread :)) and we can take a look at both issues.

mhrussell1

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 pm

If you have the latest version of VRC (1.2.4? -- newer than 1.2.3), it looks for myservers.txt in a new location. I believe that location is a "VRC" folder located in your My Documents folder. This was implemented due to a change in the way Windows handled file permissions on your Program Files directories (which is where I'm assuming you installed VRC).

As for your other issue, I get that from time to time as well. If you have never been able to retrieve the server list, you might be stuck with an old server list that we can manually update (using the cached server list from someone else).
That solved the problem. Also, that same directory had the other "servers.txt" which had all of the other vatsim servers with their IP addresses and I noticed that the date and time was from yesterday so that means it is periodically getting updated.

Thanks,
Mark Russell (MK)

Richard Gerrish

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:47 am

Check your PC protection suite setting and see if you have an option for "game Mode"(what its called for webroot and bitdefender) and try to enable that prior to starting VRC and see if that helps...there are some firewalls that don't play nicely with the way Ross does the server request.

If you tell us what suite you're using along with OS I'll see if i can come up with a good working solution for you to try.
Rich Gerrish
Developer, STM Applications Group
Where are we today?

Ryder Presnell

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Finally worked for me. Just gotta place the Myservers.txt file in the documents folder "VRC" if you have Windows 8.

Thank you!

Return to “ZLA Main Forum”