Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
Brad Podd
Retired ATM - FAB Member

Some very sad news

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Dear vZLA Community,

It's with the heaviest of hearts that I am sharing the sad news of Dominic Durden's passing this Thursday July 12. He died while riding a motorcycle; one of his most beloved pastimes. He was a safe and competent pilot. He was a stalwart of the virtual aviation community. Most importantly, he guided thousands of individuals through their darkest times as an emergency dispatcher with his calm, reassuring voice. He had a peaceful nature and an unrivaled sense of humor.

We will miss him greatly and always.

RIP Dominic.

-BP
BP

Colin Levy
VATSIM CID: 976130

Re: Some very sad news

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Dominic was a great person, friend, and mentor. No matter who you were or how well he knew you, Dom was there to help. He always seemed to look at the glass half full and kept us in laughter for hours with his stories. I always knew I would have a great time controlling when N997SP or N22FML was in the virtual skies. He will truly be missed here at ZLA. RIP.

-Colin "AD" Levy
Last edited by Colin Levy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Levy
[email protected]
Staff Instructor

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. However, there are no old, bold pilots

Will Sabransky
Mentor

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Looks like I posted at the same time as Brad, so I'll just add mine here:
It is with deep regret that I have to share some very unfortunate news with everyone. As some of you have already heard, Dominic Durden, one of ZLA's finest controllers and a close friend to many of us, passed away this morning in a motorcycle accident. We are discussing contacting Dominic's family to let them know how much he meant to us and that they are in our thoughts during this difficult time. For the time being, we've permanently retired Dominic's operating initials, and we've added Dominic to the "Ask ZLA" forum's dedication. We have also decided to replace the upcoming "Class Charlie Clash" event with a similar one in DD's honor (more details on this from John this weekend). If we wind up sending a letter to Dominic's family, we will make sure to post well in advance so everyone who wishes can contribute.

Rest in peace, Dom. We'll miss you.
Will Sabransky (WX)
ZLA Staff Instructor

Colin Schoen

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 pm

RIP Dominic -- thank you for being such an inspiration here at ZLA. You will be greatly missed.

A friend who dies, it's something of you who dies.
Colin Schoen
VATSIM Membership Manager
VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Tom Solon
FAB Member

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 pm

We are absolutely devastated. We will miss you and you will always be in our thoughts. Blue skies, DD.

Josh_ry

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Dominic was an incredible friend, son, and colleague to many more people than he may have known. Having the opportunity to meet Dominic quite a few times over the past few years makes me feel very lucky to have had such an amazing person in my short life. The amount I have learned from Dominic not only about aviation, but about life in general is amazing. He will be missed and will never be forgotten in his virtual community, as well as in his city of Riverside, California.

We will be missing him in all of our ZLA gatherings, both public and private, in the years to come.

Rest in peace Dominic,
Josh Ruby

Kyle Schoen
FAB Member

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Dominic was a great mentor and such nice person to talk to. We'll miss you buddy. Blue skies.
KN

Keith Smith

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 pm

It simply wasn't possible to have a bad time when you were in his presence. He lifted the spirits of everyone around him. He will be missed by so many.

Munji Goud
Mentor
VATSIM CID: 1166721

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Dominic was a great guy. Loved hearing him on frequency/TS and flying under his watchful eyes. RIP.
Munji Goud - MI - C1
ZLA Mentor, Uncultured Millennial.

Justin Shannon

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Though I never had a chance to meet Dominic, he seemed like a great guy to be around. My greatest condolences go out to his loved ones during these rough times. :cry:
Justin Shannon (JS)

Riley O'Leary

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 pm

RIP DD, YOU will be missed :cry:
Riley O'Leary (S3)

Chris Kelly
FAB Member

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Thoughts and prayers to DD's friends and family. Though I never got to meet him, people here have had nothing but positive things to say about him, and that says a lot about a man. Rest in peace.
Chris Kelly
"Sir, standby means shut up..."

John White
FAB Member
VATSIM CID: 1184778

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Dominic was a truly remarkable friend. I only had the honor of knowing him for the past year, but he gave me such great advice that I used it to determine my future career.

I will always remember the quick wit and jokes that DD can say at a drop of a hat. Will never forget at the ZLA Live this year, i was sitting next to Dominic and at one point, an aircraft called in at Flight Level 500. Dominic, without missing a beat, told the pilot to "report the moon in sight." I laughed so hard I had to stop departures at KLAX. But that was Dominic. Putting a smile on anyone's face at any time. Dominic was a true gentlemen, friend, and mentor to a lot of us. He will be missed greatly.

Dominic, rest in peace my good friend. We have the watch.

When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure. Author Unknown
John White
ZLA_JW

Controller: AF123, say call sign of your wingman.
Pilot: Uh... approach, we're a single ship.
Controller: oooohhh! You have traffic!

Daniel Oordt

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Heard the terrible news this afternoon. I broke into tears. I have known Dom since I first met him at the dinner in 2007. Through the years we have stayed close and he always had my back.

Ruhe in frieden Dominic. The things you taught me will never be forgotten.

OD
Daniel Oordt - OD
ZDC Instructor (I1)

Tom Solon
FAB Member

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:33 pm

DD, we will never forget you.

Return to “ZLA Main Forum”