Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
Matt Grastorf

FLight Sim Joystick

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on a joystick I have FS 2004 and FSX. Looking for something that will reliable and inexpensive (not cheap). Looking to spend around the $50 range but if the is something out worth spending a few extra bucks I may be convinced.

GF

Kevin Meyers

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:32 pm

I say unless you're going to be flying an airbus or fighterjet, go for a yoke for the most realistic experience. It may be a bit more than you want to spend, but it's really great. It's durable and just plugs in to the USB.

There's the CH Products Flight Sim Yoke for around $100-$110

Or the Saitek yoke that I think goes for $150 but it comes with the throttle thing:

I have the CH Products and have had it for 4 years now. Still in great shape. Just be sure you have a sturdy desk you can clamp it on. If you're on a flimsy table, when you pull the yoke toward you to go up, you'll end up pulling the table with it. :lol:
-Kevin Meyers
ZLA_KC
Graduate of ZLA Pilot Certification Program

Matt Cadwell

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:23 pm

I've got the Saitek and it's awesome. I've never used the CH yoke, but to me, it doesn't look like it is very realistic.
Speed and Angels

Kevin Meyers

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:52 pm

I've never used the CH yoke, but to me, it doesn't look like it is very realistic.
The yoke feels very realistic to me. I guess the only thing that would make it more realistic is force feedback, but I think force feedback yokes run at a pretty high price. Although, I have a separate thing I use for throttles off to my right side so that makes the throttles/mixture feel a little more realistic.
-Kevin Meyers
ZLA_KC
Graduate of ZLA Pilot Certification Program

Ryan Tashma

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 pm

I've flown with the CH yoke for about 2 years now and I just upgraded to the Saitek Yoke (thanks to KS' bargain basement sale!).

Here's my $.02:

CH Yoke:
Pros: Very good buttons; single piece; solid construction
Cons: Doesn't center well in the elevator axis (makes trimming the plane difficult/annoying); throttle/mixture/prop is a little awkwardly placed; if you have a thin desktop, you'll need something to shim the clamps

Saitek Yoke:
Pros: Centers to the same spot every time; main body has a low vertical profile; throttle quadrant is awesome--thrust reversers!!!--longer travel than the CH and scale marks; clamps are very easy and work equally well on desks of different thicknesses; main body has a built-in USB hub--super convenient for FS peripherals like headsets
Cons: Trim buttons all feel the same--some accidental operation of the wrong switches; two pieces means more stuff to disconnect

DON'T FORGET PEDALS!!! I've still got my original CH ones. No frame of reference for comparison, but despite their flaws (left diff brake activates all the time unless I keep my foot on the pedal), they make flight so much better. If for no other reason than smooth, more realistic taxiing, they're still worth it.

Oh yeah... and if you're truly stuck to that $50 budget... I still use my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Twist for all my helo flying. Shopper.com lists it at $20-44. You get rudder control (albeit a little awkward sometimes), a small but usable throttle, a bevy of buttons, all in an inexpensive, sturdy, relatively portable package. And when you upgrade to pedals, you can just disable the rudder axis in FS control settings.
Ryan "RT" Tashma
S-2!!! / ZLA I-11 rated
"Approach, what's the tower?"
"That's a big tall building with glass all around it, but that's not important right now."

PaulB

Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:01 am

I bought the Saitek X45 used off Ebay about 2 years ago. Still works like brand new. I think I paid $40 for it. The X45 and X52 are the best for the money.

Matt Cadwell

Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:07 am

I've never used the CH yoke, but to me, it doesn't look like it is very realistic.
The yoke feels very realistic to me. I guess the only thing that would make it more realistic is force feedback, but I think force feedback yokes run at a pretty high price. Although, I have a separate thing I use for throttles off to my right side so that makes the throttles/mixture feel a little more realistic.
I was thinking more in terms of the throttle and the fact that it says FLT SIM or whatever on the front, rather than the display on the front.

One thing I do wish for, however, is that it wasn't so easy to move into full deflection. I don't know if I need active force feedback, but maybe a tighter spring or whatever would work.
Speed and Angels

mith

Re: FLight Sim Joystick

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 pm

I've always used MS joy sticks. Never ever had problems with them, but if you're looking for pedals etc, this is not your choice. If you want simple, reliable and cheap, then the above is.

Return to “ZLA VFR Flying Club”