Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
Wayne Conrad

Flight Following

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:58 am

Here is the best article about flight following ever. It applies just as well to Vatsim as it does to the real world. It covers radio protocol completely and, as far as my amateur eyes can ascertain, accurately.

Courtesy of vansairforce.net, I present for your learning and reference Flight Following by Tony Munday.
Last edited by Wayne Conrad on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Anello
Mentor

Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:48 am

Nice article Wayne. We never get enough flight following requests at ZLA unfortunately. Maybe if enough pilots read this article, they'll start to use it more. You can't believe the number of times that I come up on scope and some aircraft that are in the flight levels and want to use VATSIM to see other aircraft will disconnect because the center controller is online. Maybe if they'd fly VFR at the lower altitudes and request flight following, they'd get more comfortable talking to us to the point that they'll file IFR online :D

BA
Ben "BA" Anello
ZLA Mentor
SWA1444/N8088G

dfg872

Thu May 28, 2009 5:27 am

you'd also have no idea how many real world pilots just don't talk to ATC either. It's a real pain for the approach controllers.

Matthew Kramer
VATSIM CID: 845421

Re:

Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 pm

you'd also have no idea how many real world pilots just don't talk to ATC either. It's a real pain for the approach controllers.
...and other pilots, especially in the practice area when doing maneuvers.

Return to “ZLA VFR Flying Club”