Notice The ZLA Forums are discontinued and kept in a locked state for archival purposes. New accounts, posts, and replies cannot be created, but you may sign into your existing account if you wish.
Peter Grey

For those who want more out of flying

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:19 am

Well guys, with the semester winding down here I'm getting a lot more free time in the evenings when you all like to fly. Rather then just put around aimlessly I'd like to see if I can help this organization which keeps me busy and helps me learn more about flying myself.

So heres the offer. Through early Janurary I'd like to offer my services as a CFI/II to anyone who wants to learn more about flying and how to make the sim more realistic. Just send me a message with what you want to work on and when your free and Ill see what I can do. I'm not adverse to group sessions either if several people have a common area.

For those with X-plane the IOS would be my preferred method for teaching, not sure how it can be done with those who have FS, ideas there are welcome.

If anyone is unsure about my qualifications I can send a resume :wink:
Peter Grey
Instructor - ZLA
N31ER
"Nice Landing, Contact ground point 5"

Wayne Conrad

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:13 am

Peter, Which version of X-Plane do you have? I think the student and instructor will need to both be flying 8.X or 9.X. I think.

Wade Williams
Mentor

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 am

PG,

I love the offer and I'm always sure there's more I can learn.

Having been up through I-11 and feeling pretty comfortable with all types of approaches (which is not to say I don't botch them on occasion) do you have any suggestions on things which might typically be weak areas? In short, I wouldn't want to waste your time.

Any thoughts?

Peter Grey

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Wayne, I have both versions.

Wade, honestly it really depends on the person, Id be happy to do an insturment proficency check to identify weak areas.
Peter Grey
Instructor - ZLA
N31ER

Matt Marciala

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Hey how come it's only x-plane :cry:
VPARC has been finally released to public, make sure to try it today:) For your comments please drop me a PM or send me an e-mail from [email protected].
-----------SCHEDULE---------------------
Monday - Friday 1700-1930 # Saturday - Sunday 24/7
---------------PC-------------------
Q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz # Abit IP-35 Pro # 4 GB DDR2 1033 Mhz # 8800 GTX 621/1011/2022 # Raptor X RAID0 150 GB # SATA 3 GB/S RAID0 500 GB # SATA 320 + 320 + 200 regular # 26" Samsung 5 ms LCD

Peter Grey

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:25 pm

No reason, I can do FS stuff, but Ill be more limited due to no instructor feature in FS I know of.
Peter Grey
Instructor - ZLA
N31ER

Kevin Meyers

Re: For those who want more out of flying

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:27 pm

X-plane the IOS
what is this [IOS] and how can i get it?
-Kevin Meyers
ZLA_KC
Graduate of ZLA Pilot Certification Program

Peter Grey

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 pm

IOS = Instructor operating station and you already have it.
Peter Grey
Instructor - ZLA
N31ER

Eric Newman

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:31 pm

FS9 has an instructor feature, its kind of hidden though.
If you go into the fs9 folder theres something called instructor.exe? or something along those lines, I'm not sure, I don't have fs9 installed as of now. With this feature, you can see where the aircraft is. You can also fail instruments and systems too. It displays airspeed, altitude and all that jazz

Everyone knows of the "shared skies" feature in FSX though. Which would definitely add to the feeling of a real CFI on board. You can fail instruments and engines thru shared skies as well.

I would like to work on some things too if we both have the time.
Mainly just the finer points on VFR and IFR, some of the advanced stuff, not exactly too sure what right now.

Peter Grey

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Sorry that this broke down, I decided to upgrade my computer, and well lets just say that isnt going very well...

Ive been without a working computer for several weeks now :( I just now got my old one up and running.
Peter Grey
Instructor - ZLA
N31ER

Return to “ZLA VFR Flying Club”